ACT in Behavior Analysis 9-week Consultation Course
Learn How to Get the Most Out of ACT Work with Your Clients
About This Course
You’re a BCBA and you’re interested in adding acceptance and commitment training (ACT) to your repertoire. However, you’re seeking someone with experience to demonstrate and mentor you on how ACT can be effectively integrated with the clients, situations, and environments you work in. This consultation course addresses how to do just that: introduce ACT into your practice effectively and appropriately within your scope of practice, and adapting ACT practices to fit your work.
Tom Szabo is a BCBA on the cutting edge of ACT who is renowned for his engaging presentation style and innovations in behavior analysis. In this consultation series, you will:
- Engage in fluency drills to hone your skills at identifying the six core ACT repertoire deficits from small bits of dialogue.
- Identify competing contingencies of reinforcement, verbal delay discounting, verbally mediated under and over-matching, behavioral inertia, and other means by which client verbal behavior derails your efforts to bring behavior under relevant stimulus control.
- Craft intervention targets to bring client behavior under the control of appropriate contingencies of reinforcement.
- Practice in-the-moment creation of unique, client-specific exercises.
- Harness the metaphors your clients use to expand flexible relational networks and undermine thorny verbal rules.
In this intimate consultation course, Dr. Szabo will model ACT skills with clients like yours, engage you in case-specific role-plays, give feedback about your integration of ACT, assist you in setting supportive goals, and assist you in evaluating your progress. Attendees should expect an average of 1.5 hours worth of homework between sessions—this may involve reading or video assignments as well as communicating with other members of the course for the purposes of further skills training work. If you’re attracted to ACT and want intensive practice in a workshop setting before trying to use the model in your ABA practice, this consultation is right for you.
During ACT in Behavior Analysis 9-Week Online Consultation, Tom guides you in the development of your own ACT exercises and metaphors. The aim is that upon completion, you will not need to rely upon books, tapes, or other supplemental prompts to find ACT interventions. You will learn to create your own function-based behavior analytic strategies to meet the needs of individuals with whom you work and to do so on the fly, in the moment.
Prior to registering, please review speaker-planner conflict of interest disclosures and complete CE information.
October 11, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
October 18, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
October 25, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
November 1, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
November 8, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
November 22, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
December 6, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
December 13, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
December 20, 2019, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
Participants will be able to:
- Set goals, identify barriers, review expectations, establish measurement and consultation program-evaluation strategy.
- Identify the six repertoires involved in behavioral flexibility and inflexibility.
- Evaluate speech for competing contingencies, delay discounting, inertia, matching, and defective stimulus control.
- Analyze the same speech for experiential avoidance, fusion, over-focus on past or future events, rigid perspective-taking, unclear priorities, and behavioral alignment with values.
- Describe recent applied literature on establishing a variety of relational frames.
- Apply interventions to behavior with different functions.
- Practice helping clients set goals, identify potential barriers and interventions, and monitor progress.
- Practice intervening and helping clients set goals, identify barriers, plan interventions, and monitor progress.
- Identify and analyze metaphors in client speech and use them to transform stimulus functions.
- Use physical movement to address deficits and excesses in core ACT repertoires.
- Use physical movement plus items found in your clinic- or home-based service environments to address deficits and excesses in core ACT repertoires.
- Develop games, initiatives, and writing and reading activities to promote ACT repertoires.
- Set personal goals for using ACT training in your practice.
- Identify barriers and interventions, design measurement and intervention evaluation strategy with clients.
All prices listed in US dollars and times in US Eastern time.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
We understand, sometimes things come up!
Praxis will offer a full refund to registrants of both live and live-online trainings who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the course or workshop start date, minus an administrative processing fee of $30 for a 2-day workshop or online course, and a $50 fee for a 4-day workshop. If cancelled within 14 days, no refund will be issued, however, a credit for the same amount will be applied toward another learning product, which expires within 1 year. Please email us at email@example.com to cancel a registration.