Commit and Act: A Functional Contextual Approach to Working with Gender and Sexuality Therapeutically
About This Course
This training provides an overview of the functional contextual approach to working with gender and sexuality in the therapeutic context. Drawing on empirical research and observations from clinical practice, this training will begin by examining the gender/sexual minority hexaflex of factors that shape psychological flexibility and resilience. Next, attendees will explore how our learning histories related to gender and sexuality may impact our therapeutic work. This training will further empower clinicians to combine experiential and didactic components of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Functional Analytic Psychotherapy (FAP) for working with sex and gender issues. Attendees will learn how to effectively integrate ACT and FAP approaches to create a nurturing and healing therapeutic environment that allows clients to explore and disclose their experiences of gender and sexuality. Finally, this training will provide attendees with a safe space to practice willingness to be with any discomfort that arises when discussing sex, sexuality, and gender identity in therapy. Attendees will be invited to explore their own responses towards open discussions of gender and sexuality, further exploring their own internal blocks and barriers with curiosity and compassion. This training serves to help attendees personally and professionally when looking at sex in therapy and working with LGBTQ+ clients. Through case examples, experiential exercises, and observing/ engaging in roleplays and/or realplays, upon completion of this training, attendees will gain confidence and competence in both discussing sex in therapy and working with LGBTQ+ clients.
Commit and Act is a non-governmental organization working to bring psychotherapeutic support to communities in need in Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Liberia. Their goal is to build a renewed sense of trust in the people they work with. To help individuals find the courage to rebuild their lives according to their own vision and values. Their local professional therapists counsel individuals and community groups.
PraxisCET is proud to help support this work. Proceeds from this presentation will go directly to Commit and Act, providing vital funding for the health and education services they provide in Sierra Leone and elsewhere.
This training is worth 2 CE credit hours if attended live. While we can only provide CE to those who are present – i.e. logged in – for live presentation(s), all Praxis webinars are recorded for later viewing. Registrants may then access these recordings at any time for up to six months from the conclusion of the training to which they pertain.
Prior to registering, please review speaker-planner conflict of interest disclosures and complete CE information.
August 11, 2021, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss ways to conceptualize sexuality and LGBTQ+ issues from an ACT and FAP perspective
- Describe at least two ways to apply ACT and FAP when working with sex and gender issues
- Identify ways to practice dealing with potential discomfort when discussing sex, sexuality, and gender identity in therapy
Please review complete CE and conflict-of-interest disclosure information prior to registering. This live online course is jointly sponsored by Praxis CET and Institute for Better Health (IBH) and is approved for 2 CE Hours by the following listed below. There was no commercial support for this activity. All the planners/presenters have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Praxis CET maintains responsibility for the program with the CE approvals outlined below:
- Drug and Alcohol Counselors:Indicated courses have been approved by Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for 2 CE hours. NAADAC Provider #165310, Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc, is responsible for all aspects of its programming.
- National Counselors: Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6759. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- NY Social Workers:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0467
- NY Counselors:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0198.
- NY Psychologists:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0002.
Institute for Better Health maintains responsibility for the program with the CE approvals outlined below:
- Physicians:This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Institute for Better Health and Praxis Continuing Education and Training. The Institute for Better Health is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The Institute for Better Health designates this live internet activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Psychologists:Institute for Better Health is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education to psychologists. Institute for Better Health maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
- Nurses:Institute for Better Health, Inc is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Institute for Better Health is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, BRN (Provider CEP#2672).
- Educators:Institute for Better Health has been approved by the Washington State Professional Educator Standards Board (WESPSB), a member of NASDTEC, as a Clock Hour Provider for Educators. Learners may claim one Clock Hour for each activity hour attended. Please contact your individual state boards for information regarding reciprocity and any additional requirements.
- Social Workers please note:In many states, you may be able to self-submit this course to your board. Many states have reciprocity with other approvals offered for this course such as APA, NBCC, or NY State Social Work. Please check with your individual board for further information on what is acceptable.
Skinta, M. & Curtin, A. (2016). Mindfulness and acceptance for gender and sexual minorities: A clinician’s guide to fostering compassion, connection, and equality using contextual strategies. New Harbinger Publications
Flynn, M. K., & Bhambhani, Y. (2021). Internalized transphobia, nondisclosure of gender identity, and life satisfaction among transgender and non-binary adults: The moderating roles of psychological flexibility and inflexibility. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science, 20, 194-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcbs.2021.04.008
Testa, R. J., Habarth, J., Peta, J., Balsam, K., & Bockting, W. (2015). Development of the Gender Minority Stress and Resilience Measure. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 2(1), 65–77. https://doi.org/10.1037/sgd0000081
Refund and Cancellation Policy
We understand, sometimes things come up!
Praxis will offer a full refund to registrants of both live and live-online trainings who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the course or workshop start date, minus an administrative processing fee of $30 for a 2-day workshop or online course, and a $50 fee for a 4-day workshop. If cancelled within 14 days, no refund will be issued, however, a credit for the same amount will be applied toward another learning product, which expires within 1 year. Please contact us at email@example.com to cancel a registration.