Commit and Act: Using RFT to Promote Flexible, Appropriately Contextualized Rule-Following and Values Guided Behavior
About This Course
Rules have a substantial influence on human behavior, with many instances of psychological rigidity seeming to stem from rigid rule-following. Rule-following is a double-edged sword. While it can allow us to bypass trial and error, facilitating rapid and effective responding, it can also reduce our sensitivity to other relevant variables in our context that are not specified in the rule. Reduced sensitivity and decreased awareness of shifting environmental contingencies is highly problematic, often causing us to maintain behaviors that are no longer useful for us or even causing us to engage in harmful behaviors. And yet, at times we need to promote rule-following. For example, we want people to adhere to guidelines that reduce the spread of COVID-19, we don’t want children to test rules around looking both ways before crossing the street, and in a clinical context, we want clients to test and follow rules that clinicians provide (e.g., rules around valued action). This workshop will introduce attendees to the Relational Frame Theory account of rule-governed behavior and how this account can facilitate flexible, appropriately contextualized rule-following, while emphasizing the importance of the individual.
Commit and Act is a non-governmental organization working to bring psychotherapeutic support to communities in need in Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Liberia. Their goal is to build a renewed sense of trust in the people they work with. To help individuals find the courage to rebuild their lives according to their own vision and values. Their local professional therapists counsel individuals and community groups.
PraxisCET is proud to help support this work. Proceeds from this presentation will go directly to Commit and Act, providing vital funding for the health and education services they provide in Sierra Leone and elsewhere.
This training is worth 2 CE credit hours if attended live. While we can only provide CE to those who are present – i.e. logged in – for live presentation(s), all Praxis webinars are recorded for later viewing. Registrants may then access these recordings at any time for up to six months from the conclusion of the training to which they pertain.
Prior to registering, please review speaker-planner conflict of interest disclosures and complete CE information.
July 27, 2021, 1 PM—3 PM EDT
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the Relational Frame Theory account of rule following.
- Identify ways to use the RFT account of rule following to support the development of flexible and adaptive rule following in the people that you work with.
Please review complete CE and conflict-of-interest disclosure information prior to registering. This live online course is jointly sponsored by Praxis CET and Institute for Better Health (IBH) and is approved for 2 CE Hours by the following listed below. There was no commercial support for this activity. All the planners/presenters have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Praxis CET maintains responsibility for the program with the CE approvals outlined below:
- Behavior Analysts:PraxisCET is an approved BACB ACE Provider # OP-17-2718.
- National Counselors: Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6759. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- NY Social Workers:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0467
- NY Counselors:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0198.
- NY Psychologists:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0002.
Institute for Better Health maintains responsibility for the program with the CE approvals outlined below:
- Psychologists:Institute for Better Health is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education to psychologists. Institute for Better Health maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
- Educators:Institute for Better Health has been approved by the Washington State Professional Educator Standards Board (WESPSB), a member of NASDTEC, as a Clock Hour Provider for Educators. Learners may claim one Clock Hour for each activity hour attended. Please contact your individual state boards for information regarding reciprocity and any additional requirements.
- Social Workers please note:In many states, you may be able to self-submit this course to your board. Many states have reciprocity with other approvals offered for this course such as APA, NBCC, or NY State Social Work. Please check with your individual board for further information on what is acceptable.
Stapleton, A. & McHugh, L. (2020). Adolescent correlates of the Generalized Pliance Questionnaire–Children. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science 15, 131-134
Stapleton, A., Ruiz, F. & McHugh, L. (2020). Comparative Investigation of Adolescents’ Generalized Pliance and Psychological Inflexibility across Cultural Contexts. The Psychological Record, 1-5.
Stapleton , A. (2020). Choosing not to follow rules that will reduce the spread of COVID-19. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science 17, 73-78
Refund and Cancellation Policy
We understand, sometimes things come up!
Praxis will offer a full refund to registrants of both live and live-online trainings who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the course or workshop start date, minus an administrative processing fee of $30 for a 2-day workshop or online course, and a $50 fee for a 4-day workshop. If cancelled within 14 days, no refund will be issued, however, a credit for the same amount will be applied toward another learning product, which expires within 1 year. Please contact us at email@example.com to cancel a registration.