Commit and Act: ACT and Racial Trauma
Accepting Black Liberation
About This Course
In the words of Dr. Martin Luther, “without Justice, there can be no peace.” Peace, not only may refer to reduction of aversive contingencies in the physical environment, but peace may be defined and observed within the individual. This workshop will review an Integrative Behavioral Model of Acceptance and Commitment for Black Liberation as a way to promote peace within the physical environment and private environment. The presentation will review behavioral methods for Black Descendants of Enslaved People, to navigate internalized Anti-Blackness as one means to actualize collective Black liberation. Given the history of white supremacy and its impact on the Black community, individuals who do not identify as Black may engage with the content area to confront their own anti-Black behaviors.
Commit and Act is a non-governmental organization working to bring psychotherapeutic support to communities in need in Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Liberia. Their goal is to build a renewed sense of trust in the people they work with. To help individuals find the courage to rebuild their lives according to their own vision and values. Their local professional therapists counsel individuals and community groups.
PraxisCET is proud to help support this work. Proceeds from this presentation will go directly to Commit and Act, providing vital funding for the health and education services they provide in Sierra Leone and elsewhere.
This training is worth 2 CE credit hours if attended live. While we can only provide CE to those who are present – i.e. logged in – for live presentation(s), all Praxis webinars are recorded for later viewing. Registrants may then access these recordings at any time for up to six months from the conclusion of the training to which they pertain.
Prior to registering, please review speaker-planner conflict of interest disclosures and complete CE information.
November 18, 2021, 1 PM—3 PM EST
Hour 1: Overview of Historical context
Hour 2: Review of ACT and Black Liberation
Participants will be able to:
- Define Black Liberation as a tact, mand, and value
- Discuss the history of Black Liberation Pedagogy
- Identify behavioral strategies to actualize Collective Freedom
- Describe self-management and self-awareness tools to label Anti-Black private events
- Describe methods to combat white supremacy in the private and public environment
Please review complete CE and conflict-of-interest disclosure information prior to registering. This live online course is sponsored by Praxis Continuing Education and Training and is approved for 2 CE Hours by the following listed below. There was no commercial support for this activity. None of the planners or presenters for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s) to disclose with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Praxis CET maintains responsibility for the program with the CE approvals outlined below:
Joint Accreditation: In support of improving patient care, Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
- Nursing: Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc designates this activity for a maximum of 2 ANCC contact hours.
- Physicians: Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc designates this live internet activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychologists: Continuing Education (CE) credits for psychologists are provided through the co-sponsorship of the American Psychological Association (APA) Office of Continuing Education in Psychology (CEP). The APA CEP Office maintains responsibly for the content of the programs.
- Social Workers: As a Jointly Accredited Organization, Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive 2 clinical continuing education credits.
- Drug and Alcohol Counselors:This course has been approved by Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for 6 CE hours. NAADAC Provider #165310, Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc, is responsible for all aspects of its programming.
National Counselors: Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6759. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Behavior Analysts:PraxisCET is an approved BACB ACE Provider # OP-17-2718.
- NY Social Workers:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0467
- NY Counselors:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0198.
- NY Psychologists:Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0002.
Tarbox, J., Szabo, T. G., & Aclan, M. (2020). Acceptance and Commitment Training Within the Scope of Practice of Applied Behavior Analysis. Behavior Analysis in Practice. doi:10.1007/s40617
Hayes, S.C. (2019), Acceptance and commitment therapy: towards a unified model of behavior change. World Psychiatry, 18: 226-227. doi:10.1002/wps.20626
Gingles, D. (2021, January 28). Igniting Collective Freedom: An Integrative Behavioral Model of Acceptance and Commitment towards Black Liberation. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/zk7jh
Refund and Cancellation Policy
We understand, sometimes things come up!
Praxis will offer a full refund to registrants of both live and live-online trainings who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the course or workshop start date, minus an administrative processing fee of $30 for a 2-day workshop or online course, and a $50 fee for a 4-day workshop. If cancelled within 14 days, no refund will be issued, however, a credit for the same amount will be applied toward another learning product, which expires within 1 year. Please contact us at email@example.com to cancel a registration.