Emotion Efficacy Training Online
About This Course
One of the greatest "superpowers" we can offer our clients is the ability to develop powerful and contextually adaptive relationships with their emotions. How people relate to their emotions day to day—even more in life-defining moments—determines the choices they make. Ultimately, these moments of choice become habits and patterns that chart the course of their lives.
As a third-wave cognitive behavioral therapy, the Emotion Efficacy Therapy (EET) protocol blends the psychological flexibility of ACT, the dialectics of DBT, and the experiential learning of exposure therapy into a brief trans-diagnostic protocol. The highly experiential online training will allow participants to leave the training competent to use the protocol with clients.
Participants will learn how to help their clients:
- Increase Emotion Awareness so they can observe all parts of emotional experience
- Practice Mindful Acceptance to surf emotion waves until they can access their values
- Identify what matters most and choose Values-Based Action instead of acting on emotions
- Use Mindful Coping when necessary to downshift emotions, tolerate distress, and/or access their values
- Practice using all skills in an activated state with structured exposure-based skills practice.
Session 1 | November 7, 2020, 12 PM—3:45 PM EST
12—12:30 am SECTION 1
INTRODUCTION TO EET
Overview of Workshop and Learning Objectives
Theoretical and Clinical Foundations of EET
EET Protocol and Research Outcomes
12:30—1 pm EMOTION AWARENESS
Introduction to Emotion Awareness
Emotion Awareness Experiential
1—1:15 pm Q & A
1:15—2 pm MINDFUL ACCEPTANCE
Introduction to Mindful Acceptance
Mindful Acceptance LIVE DEMO
VIDEO Emotion Surfing
2—2:15 pm Break (Not available for CE)
2:15—3:30 pm SECTION 2
VIDEO Emotion Surfing
Emotion Surfing in Dyads
3:30—3:45 pm Q & A
Session 2 | November 14, 2020, 12 PM—3:45 PM EST
12—1:15 pm SECTION 3
Introduction to Values
1:15—1:30 pm Q & A
1:30—1:45 pm Break (Not available for CE)
1:45—2:30 pm SECTION 4
Introduction to Mindful Coping
VIDEO: Mindful Coping
2:30—3:15 pm PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER: Troubleshooting and Tips
3:15—3:45 pm Q & A
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between emotion efficacy and wellbeing
- Describe the role and significance of emotion avoidance, distress tolerance, and emotion regulation in emotion efficacy
- Demonstrate how to teach the skill of emotion awareness as a way to decrease emotion avoidance and increase distress tolerance
- Demonstrate how to teach the skill of mindful acceptance as a way to increase distress tolerance and emotion regulation
- Demonstrate how to use the skill of values-based action as a way to increase mindful acceptance, distress tolerance, and valued living
- Demonstrate how to teach the skill of mindful coping as a way to increase emotion regulation and values-based action
- Demonstrate facility in guiding clients in exposure-based skills practice to enhance learning retention and recall and expand behavioral emotion efficacy repertoires
Please review complete CE and conflict-of-interest disclosure information prior to registering. This course is jointly sponsored by Praxis CET and Institute for Better Health (IBH) and is approved for 7 CE Hours by the following:
- APA – Psychologists
- NBCC – National Counselors
- NAADAC – Drug & Alcohol Counselors
- NY State – Counselors and Social Workers
- Other State Level Counselors, MFTs, and Social Workers
- WESPSB – Educators
- ACCME – Physicians
- ANCC – Nurses
McKay, M., & West, A. (2016). Emotion efficacy therapy: a brief, exposure-based treatment for emotion regulation integrating ACT and DBT. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Luoma, J., Hayes, S. C., & Walser, R. (2017). Learning ACT (2nd ed.). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Spradlin, S. E. (2003). Dont let your emotions run your life: how dialectical behavior therapy can put you in control. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
We understand, sometimes things come up!
Praxis will offer a full refund to registrants of both live and live-online trainings who cancel their registration up to 14 days before the course or workshop start date, minus an administrative processing fee of $30 for a 2-day workshop or online course, and a $50 fee for a 4-day workshop. If cancelled within 14 days, no refund will be issued, however, a credit for the same amount will be applied toward another learning product, which expires within 1 year. Please email us at email@example.com to cancel a registration.